A below-ground basement in a 25-year-old home located in Hoover’s Inverness area recently had a basement leak. The house had previously been waterproofed with an exterior system, complete with a footing drain and a a membrane coating over the walls.
Unfortunately, this type of waterproofing system nearly always fails sooner or later. In this case, the basement started becoming wet after heavy rain. The problem worsened until the floor and walls were perpetually damp. Eventually, excessive amounts of mold and mildew made the basement unsuitable for storage. The homeowner’s desire to turn it into a bedroom and den area was soon out of the question.
The homeowner got quotes from three different waterproofers. She chose Aqua-Guard Waterproofing for several reasons. Our approach to the problem sounded sensible, we have a proven track record, and our prices are competitive.
We installed our signature 5-step system to take care of this basement leak.
- Remove 8-12 inches of the damaged concrete floor next to the basement walls.
- Clear any debris, expose the footer, and carefully grade a trench.
- Install weep-holes along the bottom course of block, permanently eliminating the potential for water to build up inside the cavities.
- Seal the walls with Aqua-Guard’s Poly Seal, protecting the interior from bleeding and sweating.
- Install the drain, bridging the pipe to the bottom of the Poly Seal and eliminating the need for gravel.
The homeowner finally has a permanently dry and dependable basement. She turned it into a finished living space, including sheetrock walls and new flooring. Her basement is covered by our “Life of the Structure” warranty which, should she decide to sell her home, transfers from owner to owner.